Thursday, April 23, 2009

fourth practicum session

This session was about teaching speaking .My objective was to make students able to successfully discuss and communicate through the Decision making activity.They were given a list of news paper headlines and asked to select any three of them which they find unsuitable for front page.Then they were asked to select five headlines which they consider a 'must'.In the end the students were asked to explain the reason of choosing those particular headlines.
I found my lesson just average.I feel i should have made it more interesting.I think i made some mistakes which i could have avoided
  • My objectives were quite general.I should use more specific terms terms.
  • I made the students stand up and read headlines which was not only senseless and boring but also useless as it was not a speaking but a reading activity
  • The activity was a little longer.I should have made it little shorter by reducing headlines
  • When my colleagues were taking class ,twice or thrice i indulged in conversation with my partner which was really very bad.

1 comment:

  1. Your manner of beginning the session was really captivating and lively. You also need to be commended for your choice of activity. It was good that you kept encouraging and praising the students for their effort.
    But do you think you defined your objectives clearly or you described the activity you intended to take up? Was there any need to write the technical term 'decision making activity'?
    While writing your objectives be very clear about your ABCDs. Always try using performative behaviour verbs like 'apply', 'analyse', 'construct', 'describe' etc while writing your objectives. You could have done this activity in a better way by asking the students to work on chart papers and then explain the reason on their preference for a particular headline.

    ReplyDelete